Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Wellington is a dump!

Wellington is a dump! 460,000 people can be wrong. What a hole.

The streets are narrow and windy. They meander directionlessly through wild scrub and forest. They have paved mountain-goat tracks, slapped small roundabouts on them, and called them roads. People park on the side of the road. Their cars have side-swipe marks along the panels. The roads are so steep most gearboxes can't handle them. And did I mention how narrow they were?

The malls suck! Both of them. Actually, one more we didn't visit. Christchurch has five malls. All but one are wide open, spread out affairs with ample parking (well, mostly) and lots of shops. The malls in Wellington are crap. Mall developers in Wellington forgot that people drive cars to malls and need somewhere to leave their car while shopping. Hello!

Porirua. Scary. Talk about run down. Claustrophobic. It's heard to describe it withour breaking several race relations regulations. But it reminded me of growing up on The Block.

I remember thinking when I was younger that Wellington looked like a dump. I didn't visit this place until about 1995. That was an overnighter, and the lasting memory was a depressing place down town where we ate lunch.

I can't stand how you can be driving on the motorway, in the middle of Wellington, and be completely surrounded by bush, hills, and scrub with not a house or building in sight.

I can't believe what a depressing place this is. Our nation's capital! Whose brillaint idea was it to not only build a city in the hills, but to make it the capital?

5 comments:

Art Mama said...

I'm from up that way and I can't help but agree, especially reading in between the lines as far as your comments about Porirua. But the thing is, you could say there is a high tolerance threshold, so things are unlikely to change. That's why I live here.

peter said...

I am beginning to regret ever saying anything negative about Christchurch

Anonymous said...

I hope your recent visit doesn't tarnish your memories.

Anonymous said...

I don't know which part of this is funniest.

The fact someone from that dull and uninspiring hole called Christchurch is calling any other city a dump?

The fact he uses... ...*drumroll*... ...shopping malls as a yardstick to judge a city?
We're talking about a city here, not a suburb.

The fact he can't imagine a great city being situated on hills?
Hello newsflash to the insular, ignorant, narrow-minded Cantabrian; some of the world's greatest cities are located in hilly locations. Ever heard of Hong Kong? San Francisco? Rome? Zurich? Just 4 off the top of my head that show-up anything in NZ as the glorified country towns they are.

It's plainly obvious you've never had the gumption to see much of the world and have nothing close to a clue about what a good city and lifestyle actually is. Not that wellington's that great, but it's easily the closest thing NZ has to a decent Cosmopolitan, urbane city. Thanks for the laughs.

peter said...

Well, how's this for a drumroll you dick. You wrote that diatribe but then agreed with me??? I didn't say Christchurch was cosmopolitan central; I just said it had better shopping malls than the dark depressing holes Wellington calls malls.

Who said I can't imagine a great city being situated in hills? I can imagine a great city situated on hills...it's just not the dump we call our capital. I've lived in several cities and small towns across the Southern US and have visited many other US cities. Some of them in hills!!! And none of them are as depressing and chaotic as Wellington.

I assume you're a Wellingtonian (who doesn't have the gumption to put a name to his/her criticism)? I've never said Christchurch was a great city. In fact, I've opined elsewhere that it is "too small town". I would probably agree with you that NZ doesn't have anything approaching "decent Cosmopolitan." But I wouldn't open with sticking your foot in your mouth, assuming my insular ignorance while confirming your own, as you've done. I'd get a few facts straight first.