Saturday, January 01, 2011

january one

there’s something cathartic about writing a blog post on january the first, especially if you haven’t written a blog post for a while. is it kind of twee to note that this in no way constitutes the result of a new year’s resolution?

however, in the spirit of a new year’s resolutionesque mindset, i thought i might put on record a list of things i’d like to accomplish in 2011. please feel free to hold me accountable for any of these three hundred and sixty six days from now.

in no particular order, i’d like to… no, i will :

start, and feel good about, writing a classic novel

sort and edit the four thousand or so photos i have waiting to be edited in my “to be edited” folder (to be fair, only about a thousand need “editing”)

throw myself into my wordies’ project, a photographic/literary expose

put celia to bed. or in the bin.

reconnect with my wife.

take the perfect photo

blog more

get more involved in my son’s school, and help rebuild it after 4/9

write more meaningfully and not care whether it’s read or not

spend two years living at walden pond (okay, that one’s a stretch)

use as few capital letters as is literarily acceptable

take some half decent photos

write the several articles i have ideas for in my mind.

offer said articles to real publishers, and feel better about calling myself a writer

hug more

tomorrow, this list will have evolved. it may have even desolved. these things, however, have been fermenting in my mind and if i don’t make them a reality i’m going to go nuts, or at the very least be more pissed off.

several people have suggested 2010 sucked, and i can see their point. but for some reason i feel deeply satisfied with how my 2010 went, and despite numerous lows and turns on the roller-coaster, right now i feel excited about 2011. one of my failings, however, is an ability to be tossed about by every wind of calamity and personality. i need to be more solid. i need to be more confident in my ability and my purpose. i need to take charge of my own destiny (if it's not too late).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess, like you, I have achieved what I set out to do...mainly changing careers (and thus far, successfully). I have lots of goals too, including moving toward licensure, increasing my knowledge and practice, and being a better person. The latter is always a goal, though not always pursued with vigor.

Hello 2011. Am I ready for you? :)

Anonymous said...

I like and hope you do manage to accomplish most of your list. You are already a talented photographer and writer. You are a great father and husband.
So as far as I can see, this list is just ensuring it continues what is already good in your life

Anonymous said...

I like your attitude. I discovered only recently that you are a talented writer as well as photographer. I am with you on the capital letters, which may come as a surprise given my ingrained pedantry. One of my favourite poets is e.e cummings who was very creative in his use of punctuation.

I am extremely nervous about 2011. In 2010 things happened and other things I made happen. This year I have to make it all work.

My New Year's resolutions are to be more self reliant, make good choices and try to let as much of the bad stuff wash over me as possible.

Happy New Year.

Pip.

Anonymous said...

I am really inspired about how to set up your plans and goals.
this is the thing's that i need to do to my self. It seems that you are very talented in many ways. keep it up! you have a gift. :)

Good health and blessed New Year for 2011.
Bernard..

peter said...

thanks for asking...re "reconnecting with my wife" ... it's not to say we are not connected; it is to say we can always connect more deeply, and one my intentions is to pursue that

Maggie Le Page said...

Happy New Year, my fellow Wordie. I'm relishing the prospect of another year writing and critiquing with you, and to seeing us all achieve goals we've previously only dreamed of. 2011 is OUR YEAR!

And, to help you achieve your goals, I'm volunteering myself (again) for the task of repeatedly prodding you until Celia is well and truly finito - NOT relegated to the bin, my friend. She deserves far better than that and we both know it!

As for your wish list for the year - the only thing stopping us is fear. Harness it and use it. That's what I intend to do!

xx

Art Mama said...

Can I read Celia? Pretty please?

peter said...

hmmm... I'm happy for you to read it. it's a little raw still, but readable.