Saturday, January 15, 2011

YouTube

I started out thinking about Sting and how I don't do concerts, but if I did do concerts Sting is one act I wouldn't mind going to see, and as he's coming to Christchurch in February I thought I would offer my services to photograph the event as the establishment organising said event is one that I have done photos for on a couple of occasions.

(Yes, I'm aware that's a very long sentence)

Anyway. I figured I'd just head on over to YouTube and grab a vid of Gordon to embed here. Have you ever tried to look for just one video on Youtube? It's impossible! You cannot do it. Sure it's easy finding one video; but it's impossible to stick with just one. There are those enticing titles in the sidebar and you think, Hey, that looks interesting, I'll just have a quick look at that video, then head back to the Roxanne. But then in the sidebar of the next video there are more enticing titles and interesting looking grabs. So you think, just one more. But they each open in the same window so it's not long until you're, like, 20 videos away from the original one you looked at.

So, you just start the search again and there he is, Sting at Live Aid (is it just me or did he seem to tank at Live Aid?). But then, oooh... what's that in the sidebar? I'll just check that out quickly.

YouTube is like a rabbit warren. There are diversions everywhere and if you're not careful you can go from the Goo Goo Dolls to videos of moms' reactions to that video (you know the one I mean) in five clicks or less. What? How did I get here?

So I finally got back to Sting, embedded it here, only, for all YouTube's power and diversity I couldn't find the video of my favourite Sting song so went with this one, which is almost as cool.


Oh...and isn't this really cool?


Except... I'm not convinced they're actually playin it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything you said about u-tube is right. Its a great way to use up all your gigs and get charged more by your provider..lol. I have used it to look up a tutorial and find that hours later, I am still looking at videos and not watched the tutorial I went there to see. It is such a fascinating place.. everything to appeal to everyone. Would love to see Sting, but have you seen the prices? Also not that keen on shows at this venue. Have seen him once, when he came to Wellington in 1996 on his Mercury Falling tour.. he was fantastic. His looks havent even changed.
You didnt say what your favourite Sting song was?
Looking at the Banjo/guitar video...I wouldnt have any idea, but felt, what I was seeing was not what I was hearing.. you can see the fingers moving but the notes not changing.
Thanks for the blog, enjoyed reading it. Should have broken this up into 5 statements to get more...

peter said...

Fave Sting song...Love is the 7th Wave