Friday, February 24, 2012

Earthquake Memorial

You know... I wasn't terribly impressed with the memorial at Hagley Park the other day.

Don't get me wrong. I thought it was apt. I thought it was necessary. I thought the concept was executed well. But something was lacking.

names of victims are read out

names of victims are read out
There were poignant moments. The choir was particularly sonorous. The reading of the names by Fire Service and Police personnel was evocative. Despite the criticisms they struggled with some of the names, I think they did well with them. I do think, however, I would have preferred a national reading the names of people from their own country, but that may just be me. Hillary Clinton's video message was heartfelt, but for me it came out of left field. Huh? Hillary Clinton? I can understand messages from the Queen and Prince Charles. Nothing from Australian leaders? But Hillary Clinton?

sam johnson
Sam Johnson read a passage that was short and sweet, then disappeared off the stage. I would have liked to hear more from him. Someone sang a song. A few more people spoke, and I think the point for me is I have no idea what any of them said. It was a bunch of politically correct platitudes offered by entirely the wrong people, in most cases, to a crowd that in many ways is still searching for understanding and security for the future, neither of which was available at that service.

john key

John key spoke. Why? Other than being the political leader of New Zealand who left Christchurch decades ago, why would he have anything pertinent to say? Jerry Mataparae, our Govenor General spoke, too. Why? He is a military man whose personality and presence command respect. But I'm not sure why he was given the podium. Bob Parker spoke, but his fifteen minutes is up. Victoria Matthews, while supposedly representative of the spiritual pulse of Christchurch, is rather representative of all that is wrong with religion in the world. Is there a more boring speaker in the church? Any time I've heard her speak I want to slash my wrists by the time she finishes the first paragraph. Of course, every religion had to be represented, so, meh, whatever.
victoria matthews
But what was lacking? Real words from real people. I know we've heard ad infinitum from the victims of the earthquakes. To varying degrees we are all victims of the earthquakes. But instead of hearing from a bunch of stuffy boring people who have little to do with our reality, I'd have preferred to hear five minutes from a few of the people at the real front line of this disaster. Perhaps a few words from some of those who were receiving awards after the "service". Five minutes from Sam Johnson; three minutes from one of the USAR heroes; a few minutes from a few of the families. At the very least a keynote speaker with the ability to capture an audience with something interesting and god forbid inspiring to say.


There were just a little too many things wrong with it. Hone Hawawira was there. Metiria Turei and Russell Norman (omg that hat!) were there. Phil Goff was there. I'd hate to think they were all there simply to try and score political points, but I'd be hard pressed to remember hearing a single word Hone Harawira has ever spoken about the earthquakes. Does he have any direct connection to Christchurch at all? With political clouds hanging over John Key and Bob Parker, it's hard to take them seriously. Same with Phil Goff and Victoria Matthews. Peter Beck was there, and I'm not sure I saw those two communing together in the Lord.

I've long given up the expectation of ever hearing anything inspiring from any New Zealander. I don't think we have any great orators. Have we ever had any? If we do have any, in these days of carefully prepared politically correct PR approved speeches designed to offend no-one and say nothing, anyone taking a public stage is probably terrified of saying something that will get him or her into hot water. So instead they opt for the say nothing approach. Which doesn't do much for the audience.

Some woman came along and told Gudrun and I, and a couple other photographers, that we couldn't take photos of the families. Not that I was, but did she happen to notice the plethora of press photographers right beside us? And the TVNZ camera swinging right in their faces? Hmmm?

And did I mention how uninspiring the speakers were?

So I left feeling a little flat and a lot uninspired. So the day for me was won by the non-people symbols and moments.

half mast

everyone has an earthquake story

flowers in cones - the enduring image of
post-eq christchurch

monarch butterfly

1 comment:

Tracey Edwardes said...

Thanks for the accurate synopsis. And being honest. Yes, i think you are right about people being too scared to say anything out of place. It had a lot less emotion than the one we had in March. Although i think the emotion came from ourselves rather than who said what on the stage. Maybe Year 2 will be more poignant. and the 10 year anniversary will be something to remember... if Christchurch is still here. Thanks for pointing out who was there and what they said...as it was a bit of a blur for me I was busy hunting for a tissue to wipe my eyes/nose...I think old HIlary had pride of screen cause she was here in Christchurch JUST before the quake ...so we were still in her short-term memory bank. Great pics..as per usual (-: