Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Is it art?



I had fully intended to post this photo I took a couple weeks ago, and then I saw this blog post asking the very question I had in my mind. Is it art? Of course, I knew my answer already but I'm sure there are some who would disagree.

To me it's ... blank dreary cracked wall, or...this? I'm thinking this hands down.

Similar art works are popping up all over town. Even pre-earthquake there were many art works like this, as I've photographed already. But post-earthquake there seems to be, first of all, more of it (as more blank walls become available), and second, an almost tacit appreciation of it as Christchurch grapples with ideas of how to make our ravaged, uglified city more attractive.

I love this stuff. What do you think?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh I saw this a couple of weeks ago and wanted to go back and shoot it :)

peter said...

There's a really nice one in Beckenham too. Race ya!

Anonymous said...

I have a whole heap of shots I did around Sydenham before the quake for stuff that isnt there any more, and some other ones I went out and did a while ago. Should get my act together and process them all and post

peter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Art Mama said...

Naturally, I love it. I also loved the ones which are visible from Waltham Park, at the back of Waltham pool. They were there before the quake, and I always look out for my favourite when I'm over there dog-walking.