Saturday, August 23, 2008

Yawn

When did uncovered, wide mouthed YAWNS become acceptible. It's something I've noticed for ages, but it has really only dawned on me lately. Didn't good manners dictate covering up?

I know "good manners" is basically an outdated concept, but it's not always - in fact, it's more commonly the opposite - the ones I would expect to have abandoned such courtesies. It's not kids and oafs. Often, and most recently, it's middle-aged women. Forties. Fifties.

Has women's lib come so far that it's now okay to shrug off even the minutiae of those old standards. Covering your mouth while yawning? What for?

And it's not as if it's in the comfortable privacy of their own home. It's in the street. YAWN! Gee, thanks for that. By the way you have a cavity way in the back there. And your breath could use some work.

I think it's rude. Am I a fuddy duddy?

No comments: