Friday, May 15, 2009

Eyes glazed shut

I am truly a terrible Kiwi. Whenever I hear the words Edmund Hillary my eyes glaze over. Yawn. The Five Dollar Note guy. Fifty years ago he climbed a mountain that lots of people now climb practically recreationally. Big deal. He did some philanthropic work in Nepal. Perhaps he could have done something really dangerous like some philanthropic work in South Auckland. Now that would be daring.

His children are in a very public spat with the Auckland Museum. Apparently Hillary left some papers, photographs, diaries and what have you to the care of the Museum.

Of course, there are a million “provisions”, conditions under which the documents are to be handled. And now an argument has erupted about intellectual property rights and publication rights.

Mostly I’m sure it’s about money. Things like this usually are. Sure it’s about an “iconic” New Zealander and the family’s memories of him. Fair enough, but ultimately it will be about money. Who gets what percentage of the profits from whatever publication takes place.

I can understand both sides, although I think the Museum comes out looking like the bully. How could they possibly take on that family and hope to keep an ounce of sympathy from the New Zealand public? The lawyers will be foaming at the mouth with the prospect of a long, drawn out court battle to decide what most Kiwi’s already know. That the ownership of everything remains with the family.

Some things should not be reported. While I glaze over at the mention of Sir Ed, I don’t think whatever memory we have of him should be so posthumously marred by the greed and ineptitude of either the Auckland Museum, the remaining members of the Hillary family, or both.

And shame on the reporter who broke the story.

1 comment:

Patty said...

This is a crazy question but are you Peter who use to chat on the Internet in a room called #countrymusic? If so contact me. I think I knew you..my nickname in that channel was AuntieEm